Rape Crisis Centre is a NPO that provides psychiatric and psychological support and counselling for victims of sexual and/or physical violence.
Rape Crisis Centre has a vision of a South African criminal justice system that supports and empowers rape survivors in all of its interventions.
The centre provides assistance in the following areas:
- Psychological counselling;
- para-legal help;
- medical help;
- counselling around HIV testing;
- life skills projects at schools;
- support groups for rape survivors still attending school;
- research and monitoring at courts,
Rape Crisis Centre also trains people in their communities about rape, domestic violence, HIV/Aids and post exposure prophylaxis.
Part of the centre’s mission is to act as a bridge between rape survivors and the system so that:
- More survivors report rape
- The number of rape incidents decreases
- Survivors experience reduced secondary trauma within the system
- The conviction rate of rapists increases thus providing a deterrent to rape